|Books||Current Journals||Bound Journals||Maps, Music,
|Students||Semester long checkout - due on the last day of final exams||In library use only||Semester long checkout||5 weeks||1 week|
||January/June due dates||2 days||January/June due dates||January/June due dates||1 week|
|Administration/Staff||Semester long checkout||In library use only||January/June due dates||5 weeks||1 week|
|5 weeks||In library use only||5 weeks||5 weeks||n/a|
* Reference meterials may be used in the library only.
** Special Collections materials may be used in the Special Collections reading room only.
Renewals can be made online by going to My Library Account and typing in your Colgate University username and password or your last name and the barcode number from the back of your Visiting Borrower card.
Refer to the Fines & Bills page for information on overdue and lost library materials.
Who Can Borrow?
Regular Borrowers include Colgate University students, faculty, administration, emeriti, staff, and high school students registered for Colgate courses. A current, valid Gatecard must be presented to check out materials.
- Students and Faculty of:
- Hamilton College
- SUNY Morrisville
- SUNY Poly
- LeMoyne College
- Herkimer Community College
*** Reciprocal Borrowers must present a current, valid ID from their institution. They then receive a Visiting Borrowers Card to be used in checking out materials. ***
- Faculty spouses/partners (Same borrowing priviledges as graduate students except with no off-campus access to resources)
- Trustees and Trustees Emeriti
- Alumni living in Madison County or towns within a 25 mile radius of Colgate
- Members of the Upstate Institute Lifelong Learning Program
- Residents of cities and towns within a 25 mile radius of Colgate University OR
- Faculty of school districts within a 25 mile radius of Colgate University
*** The annual fee is $5.00. ***
- ID - Proof of residency is required. A photo ID with proof of address is required and a copy is be placed on file. Faculty from school districts should provide proof of employment if their residence falls outside of the residency requirement.
- Application Procedure – Individuals must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a Visiting Borrowers card. Applications are available at the Circulation Desk in the Cooley Science Library or at the Case Library and Center for Information Technology.
- Library Cards - Visiting Borrowers will be issued a Colgate University Visiting Borrowers Library card. Borrowers must use this card when checking out materials.
- Use of Library Card – Borrowing rights can not be transferred to others such as spouses or family members.
- Check-Out Limit – Visiting Borrowers may check out up to 15 items at a time.
- See the Loan Periods above for information on how long you may borrow material and what to do if something is overdue.
- Visiting borrowers should note that replacement costs for University Library materials can be significantly higher than materials from a public library.
Requests for temporary borrowing privileges should be made directly to the University Librarian and the granting of and terms of privileges must be approved by the University Librarian.