Plasma Screen Policy
The Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology (Case-Geyer) is equipped with four plasma monitors:
- Two on Level 3 – one on either side of the Main Stair
- Two on Level 5 – one on each side of the central computer area in the Hieber Learning Commons
Content for the plasma screen is managed by Concerto (a network based video display system).
Guidelines for Use
- All content must be approved before posting on any of the plasma screens via Concerto. Please direct all content submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org (COOP), email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (Case-Geyer). Those with Concerto accounts can also submit content to the Case-Geyer feed through the Concerto portal.
- Use of the plasma screens in Case-Geyer is primarily for informational and promotion materials supplied by Colgate University Libraries and Information Technology Services. Secondary use is to provide a service to students, faculty, and staff regarding internal CU events. Examples include guest lectures, workshops, concerts, and events sponsored by student organization. We will also include public service announcements or advertisements, which raise awareness of a specific issue to the whole community or sections within it. In general, it will not be used for any commercial purpose. Requests for secondary use announcements on the plasma screens in Case-Geyer will be permitted when airing does not conflict with primary use.
- Content must be appropriate and open to the Colgate community, and presented in a timely manner. Plan ahead, and submit your items 5-10 days before the event. Submissions after this time-frame may not be posted immediately.
- Messages with grammatical errors will be returned for revision before approval is given.
- Slide placement is at the discretion of the Libraries and ITS. Materials are ordinarily displayed on all four screens; however, some materials, due to length, may be restricted to a single screen.
- The Libraries and ITS reserves the right to edit or deny offensive or inappropriate content.
- Content can be provided in a variety of formats, including pdf, avi, gifs, jpegs, and ppt. If you are unsure whether the format of your content is suitable for use with the Concerto system, please email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ITS Service Desk for immediate service.
Examples of appropriate content include:
- departmental and group promotional materials
- sports and special event information, e.g. performances, lectures, etc.
- student produced media, e.g., videos, artwork, etc.
- important dates or academic deadlines
Inappropriate content includes:
- personal messages or items for sale
- non Colgate-related material
- offensive material
Text should include the name of the event, time/date, location, a brief description (10-12 words), and a "for more information" contact number or email. Powerpoint slides, jpgs, gifs and pngs should be in landscape format (16:9) to best fit on the screen. The default size is 1024x768.
Video: Video should be submitted as a YouTube or Vimeo link. Audio is not available on the Case-Geyer plasma screens, so please subtitle your work if it requires audio.
Deadline: Screens are updated once per week. Please submit your items 5-10 days before the event. Items will run for up to two weeks, including one day after the event. If you would like your items to play longer, you can add it to your submission (no longer than one semester).
Technical questions about the system should be directed to ITS via the ITS Service Desk.
Based on a draft by Clarence Maybee, updated by Debbie Krahmer with suggestions from Charlotte Droll and Dave Baird. Reviewed by Joanne A. Schneider, University Librarian, 6/8/10. Approved by Library Faculty, 7/22/10. Updated 6/25/2018