Off Campus Access
Most, but not all of the digital resources, which the Library subscribes to are available from off-campus for current students, faculty and staff.
- Reciprocal, alumni, and visiting borrowers are not allowed to use subscription resources from off campus due to licensing restrictions but can use most of the resources by coming to the Libraries.
- Some databases are freely available for all users.
The most critical aspect for success is to follow the links from the library homepage to the resources. Searching for a database or journal via Google, Bing, etc, will frequently not work for subscription resources.
Users who access campus resources via VPN (the Virtual Private Network at bottom of the page) should be not be prompted for an additional login. Macintosh VPN Users must select "send all traffic over VPN" in advanced settings to access library resources. Other users will use the Proxy access method described below. Browsers will need to be properly configured for access in either case.
Assuming that the Browser is correctly configured and the associated programs installed, following the links from the library page should result in being presented with a Login Screen. If a login screen is not presented, the most common cause is not having cookies enabled/accepted.
Once the username and password have been accepted, you should have access. If there is no access, check the browser configuration below and check that your virus protection or other security software has not overruled the settings in the browser. If there is no success after checking the settings, contact a librarian for assistance.
Chrome is recommended as the primary browser. Internet Explorer and Safari generally will work thought there are some resources which may not work as well. It is recommended that users use the latest release of one of these browsers.
The most common problems encountered when using the library web site and its resources are caused by excessively securing the browser so required functionality is eliminated.
Setup the browser following options:
- Accept cookies (while it is possible to have the browser prompt the user if they want to accept a specific cookie, this is not the recommended setting and might lead to unexpected denial of service)
- PopUP blockers are turned off
- Recommended screen size is 1024 x 860 ( 800 x 600 is the minimum size)
A number of associated programs might need to be installed to allow access to all the content
These resources from ISI frequently will work fine via Proxy - as described above. There have been some reported occations when they do not. If that happens, use VPN to connect.